Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sweet potato hash



So I bought a couple of sweet potatoes a while ago and I keep trying to figure out what to do with them.  I thought about making sweet potato hash from Everyday Paleo, but I didn't have sausage.  I thought about making twice baked sweet potatoes from PaleOMG but didn't feel like doing all the work, so I did a combo of both and the end result was amazing if I do say so myself!


  • 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and grated (use a cheese grater or the shredding disc on your food processor)
  • 5 slices bacon
  • 1 small yellow onion, sliced thin
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • Sea salt (to taste, I just did several grinds right in the pan)
  • Black pepper (to taste)
  • Cinnamon (I didn't measure but I'd estimate I used maybe 1-1.5 teaspoons?)
  • Dash of cumin
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
In a large skillet, cook the bacon.  Remove and set on a paper towel to absorb excess grease and chop roughly

Toss the sliced onion and garlic into the skillet (use the bacon grease that's in the pan) and saute until onions are tender.  Melt in the coconut oil and add the sweet potatoes, salt, pepper, cinnamon and cumin and stir until the potatoes are tender (mine took maybe 5 minutes).  Add the bacon back in and combine everything.

The cinnamon and coconut oil lend a sweetness to the potatoes, while the bacon, salt and cumin add a salty/smoky flavor.  I can see this going into the rotation of post-WOD snacks, a great balance of healthy carbs, fat and protein!  My only regret is not making a double recipe, I am going to devour this!

No comments:

Post a Comment