Good thing people are coming over tonight for book club, otherwise, I'd be eating all 12 of these myself.
- 12 white button mushrooms (you'll want to get larger ones, as they do shrink down a bit when you bake them)
- 4 ounces goat cheese, softened (I left mine out at room temperature for about an hour)
- 1/4 cup shredded white cheddar (or mozzarella, whatever you have on hand)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
Clean and remove stems from mushrooms and brush the tops with olive oil. Place in a rimmed baking dish, top side up, and bake for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees (or until the mushrooms start to soften). Remove from oven and flip over to let the steam out. Let cool for a few minutes.
In a mixing bowl, stir the goat and cheddar cheeses and spices until combined. Now you can either just roll out little balls and pop them in the mushrooms, or you can use a ziploc/pastry bag, or do what I did when your ziploc bag fell apart on you and just scoop some onto a knife and wipe it onto the mushrooms :)
Now, if you want, you can just pop these into the fridge if you aren't ready to bake them, for up to a day, or if you're ready, sprinkle the mushrooms with a little parmesan cheese and pop back into the 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes, finishing up the last couple of minutes in the broiler if you want.