Sunday, October 25, 2009

Pumpkin muffins


I found this delicious recipe at Pinch My Salt and finally got to try it and I was very happy with the results. It produced a very moist muffin, as promised, and even though I used a mix of molasses and honey (instead of just honey as the original recipe calls for), I couldn't tell any difference, nor could you tell it was just whole wheat flour, as sometimes it has a slightly different texture. And, as suggested, I filled the muffin tins up to the top.

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins with Cranberry and Walnuts
  • 2 1/2 C. whole wheat flour
  • 2 t. baking powder
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 2 1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 C. pumpkin puree (I use canned)
  • 2 T. oil
  • 3/4 C. honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 C. buttermilk
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1/2 C. sweetened dried cranberries (I used Trader Joes dried cranberries)
  • 1/2 C. chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a standard size 12 cup muffin tin (I use cooking spray).
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice; set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, oil, honey, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir together until just combined. Fold in the cranberries and walnuts.
5. Divide batter evenly between 12 standard sized muffin cups. Bake 20-23 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven. Muffins are done when they spring back lightly to the touch or when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. At this time of year I love all things pumpkin, these muffins would be at the top[ of the list. They look so light and fluffy and I must say very delish!!!!

    ReplyDelete