Friday, February 10, 2012

Ch-ch-ch-Pudding!



Remember Chia Pets?



So do I.

But did you know that Chia seeds are actually the newest superfood?  (Well, newest in the sense that I just heard about it the other day from my CrossFit coach, Hillary).  High in Omega 3's, ALA, a shit ton of fiber (that might make you shit a ton if you aren't careful), naturally hydrating, and useful in just about anything.

So I went to Costco the other day and picked myself up a bag (got a big bag that will no doubt last me until the end of time for under $7).  I sprinkled some in my stir fry the other day for a little crunch, and I just made some chia pudding.  My apologies, I can't find the link that I found the original recipe that gave me the idea, but here is mine:


  • 3/4 cup coconut milk
  • 4 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 1/2 to 1 tablespoon honey (I used about 1.5 tablespoons and it was too sweet for me)
  • 1 teaspoon dark chocolate cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
In a bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk until blended.  Put in the fridge for 20-30 minutes or until it is set.

**Makes 2 small servings, or 1 slightly-more-then-you-should-eat serving

The texture is similar to a tapioca or rice pudding, and the seeds will get tender while they soak so it doesn't have more crunch, but it's pudding, you don't want crunch!

Just be careful with your consumption though, I have it on good authority that too much chia will make you have poop monsters (and who knows, you might grow a chia pet in your belly!)

1 comment: