Monday, October 10, 2011

Salmon Hash



So I'm not the biggest fan of salmon, so what did I do?  Bought a piece of salmon.  Yeah, I know, I don't make much sense.

Last night I seasoned it with some lemon pepper seasoning, cooked the salmon up in my cast iron pan, and took a bite and realized "nope, I don't like this".  But I wasn't about to waste it and thought about giving it to Charlie this morning so he'd have a super treat with his dog food, but this morning came up with a better idea.  Originally it was going to be an egg/salmon/turnip scramble, but I had other ideas.

In a small skillet, melt some bacon grease (or your fat of choice) and add a couple of handfuls of grated turnips (you know, out of the bowl of grated turnips you've had sitting in the fridge for a few days that you haven't gotten around to eating yet....or if you are using fresh, make sure you squeeze the excess liquid out of it).  Saute those for several minutes until they start to brown, then add in some salmon and a drizzle of EVOO and stir until it's heated.  Season with salt and pepper.

The result?  Pretty damn tasty!  And since I have salmon and a bunch of turnips left, I think I'll be eating this for a couple of days.  You could also make a bigger batch and just reheat as needed (which I will probably be doing for some quick post workout meals).

No comments:

Post a Comment