Hot Fudge Spoon Cake
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sweet ground chocolate (I couldn't find sweetened so I just used Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder, and if you use this you will need to increase the sugar to 2/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup sugar (again, increase to 2/3 cup if you use unsweetened chocolate)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sweet cocoa powder (I used Hershey's unsweetened again, and increased the sugar, again)
- 1/4 cup sugar (increase to 2/3 cup if using unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
2) In a medium size bowl, whisk together the flour, ground chocolate, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and add the milk, melted butter and vanilla. Stir the liquid ingredients until well blended, and continue stirring in widening circles, gradually incorporating the dry ingredients, until you have a smooth batter. It will be thick. Spread evenly in the slow cooker (it's best to use a medium size round slow cooker for this recipe)
3) To make the topping, combine the other ingredients in another bowl and whisk until smooth. Gently pour over the batter in the cooker; DO NOT STIR IN. Cover and cook on HIGH until puffed and the top layer is set, about 2-2 1/4 hours.
4) Turn off the cooker and let stand, covered, for at least 30 minutes before refrigerating or serving right out of the cooker.
5) To serve, scoop the cake into individual bowls. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream if so desired and spoon some of the fudgy pudding at the bottom over the cake.