Wow, it's been a while since I posted! But, have no fear, anyone who reads this, as there is a 90 day challenge starting at the box on April 1, so expect lots of posts!
Todays meal was inspired by a recipe I found on Pinterest, thanks to Bill & Hayley over at Primal Palate.
I made a few changes/additions/substitutions to it and was pretty pleased with the results. My recipe is below:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into thin strips
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 8 ounce can of water chestnuts, sliced
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 8 ounce package baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups broccoli (it's fine to use frozen broccoli, just make sure it's mostly thawed, it will cook up quicker)
- 3-4 cups of cabbage, sliced thinly
- Sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce*
- 2-3 tablespoons gluten free szechuan sauce (use more or less depending on how hot you want it, 3 tablespoons was just about right for my liking)
Heat a wok (or large skillet if you don't have a wok) on high and add sesame oil and chicken. Cook until it is almost cooked through.
Add the broccoli, water chestnuts and mushrooms, cook another 3-5 minutes or until broccoli starts to get tender.
Add almonds, garlic, green onions, ginger and cabbage along with the fish sauce, tamari, chili garlic and szechuan sauce. Stir everything together and cover, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, or until cabbage is soft.
Garnish with sesame seeds
Makes about 4 servings
*So I used a sweet chili garlic sauce at Trader Joes and one of the ingredients listed is sugar, so while this isn't a *true* paleo meal, I think it's close enough. Besides, I couldn't find a non-sugar containing sauce and was too lazy to make my own.