Monday, November 22, 2010

Brussels Sprouts salad



So, now that I'm embarking on my 30-day "paleo/primal-ish" challenge, that means lots of new recipes and lots of cooking.

I found this recipe over at Pinch My Salt and after making a couple of changes to it, it's almost 100% paleo!  I didn't have walnuts on hand so I used chopped pecans, as well as substitute coconut oil for the brown sugar and okay, I did use a packet of Truvia just to add a little bit of sweetness to it.  This was the second time I've cooked with Brussels sprouts and I just had a bite to check it, but I have to admit, it was pretty good!

Brussels Sprouts salad (adapted from Pinch My Salt)
  •  2TB apple cider vinegar
  • 1 packet Truvia (optional)
  • 1TB coconut oil
  • 1TB EVOO
  • 4 slices thick cut bacon
  • 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed, outer leaves peeled and shredded/sliced
  • 1/2C chopped pecans
  • Salt and pepper to taste
In a bowl, mix vinegar, sweetener, coconut oil and olive oil together and set aside.

In a large skillet cook the bacon, and when finished, place on a paper towel to drain the excess grease and crumble into pieces.  Reserve 1-2TB of the bacon drippings and add Brussels sprouts and cook for 3-5 minutes over medium high heat or until tender.  Remove from heat and add the bacon, pecans and dressing and stir for a minute until combined.  Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment