Saturday, March 13, 2010

Anadama bread

I'm finally getting back to my goal of making every bread in The Bread Bakers Apprentice Book!  The latest bread was Anadama Bread. 

It started out with soaking a cup of corn meal in a cup of water overnight, and this was a new concept to me for baking bread, but I went with it.  The next day, per the directions, I added the flour, etc and let it ferment for an hour until bubbles appeared, then added the remaining ingredients (which included molasses, which was also a new addition to bread baking for me).



Unfortunately, I miscalculated my time so instead of letting the dough rise for an hour or two, I had to put it in the fridge after a couple of hours since I didn't have time to shape it.  Luckily this didn't impact the rising stage at all.



I actually didn't get around to baking the bread until the next day, so my 2 day bread turned into a 3 day bread, but it ended up making 3 loaves, which was nice.  The bread itself?  Well I'll admit, I wasn't as crazy about it as I have been other breads I've made, perhaps it was the cornmeal.  But I toasted it and put some orange marmalade on it and it tasted fine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment