Thursday, June 4, 2009

Coconut chicken


Healthy (and tasty) meal alert!

Shredded coconut was on sale today so I bought a couple of bags, and while I love me some breaded coconut chicken/shrimp/onion rings, I don't like the calories that go along with it, so I did my own version. It's something I've made in the past but am continually tweaking.

The following serves 1 (and most of the measurements are estimates, I just tossed stuff together:

  • 4 ounces chicken breast tenders (you can use regular chicken breast and cut it up, but the tenders were on sale so I saved time, and money!)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 1/4 C shredded coconut
  • Dash of salt, pepper and garlic powder
  • Combine egg and milk and mix together
  • In another pan (I use this great tray set from the Pampered Chef, keeps everything together) combine the flour, coconut, salt, pepper and garlic powder
  • Dip the chicken tenders in the egg mix and then in the flour/coconut mix to evenly coat.
  • Place in a baking pan and drizzle with a little butter (I used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray)
Cook at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked thoroughly.

One suggestion? Flip the chicken halfway through cooking. The top was nice and browned and crispy but the bottom was a little soggy. But still delicious!

Serve with your choice of dipping sauce. I used poppyseed salad dressing that I had in the fridge, it was a nice compliment.

Nutritional information (not including the asparagus I made with it or the dressing)

Total Calories: 240
Total Fat: 11g
Cholesterol: 70mg
Carbs: 12g
Sodium: 200mg
Protein: 24g

1 comment: