Healthy (and tasty) meal alert!
Shredded coconut was on sale today so I bought a couple of bags, and while I love me some breaded coconut chicken/shrimp/onion rings, I don't like the calories that go along with it, so I did my own version. It's something I've made in the past but am continually tweaking.
The following serves 1 (and most of the measurements are estimates, I just tossed stuff together:
- 4 ounces chicken breast tenders (you can use regular chicken breast and cut it up, but the tenders were on sale so I saved time, and money!)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 C shredded coconut
- Dash of salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Combine egg and milk and mix together
- In another pan (I use this great tray set from the Pampered Chef, keeps everything together) combine the flour, coconut, salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Dip the chicken tenders in the egg mix and then in the flour/coconut mix to evenly coat.
- Place in a baking pan and drizzle with a little butter (I used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray)
One suggestion? Flip the chicken halfway through cooking. The top was nice and browned and crispy but the bottom was a little soggy. But still delicious!
Serve with your choice of dipping sauce. I used poppyseed salad dressing that I had in the fridge, it was a nice compliment.
Nutritional information (not including the asparagus I made with it or the dressing)
Total Calories: 240
Total Fat: 11g