Why doesn't my computer recognize frittata as a word? Or New Zealand? Seriously, I get the red squiggly correction lines under those words (oh, but SQUIGGLY is a word?!)
Anyway, check it. This is a great recipe if you are going to a brunch, or hosting a brunch with girlfriends and watching Love Actually, which is ACTUALLY what happened on Sunday, haha. And what's nice about this is you can use any veggies you have on hand.
First step, preheat your oven to 350.
Second step, grease a 9x13 baking dish with your fat of choice. Coconut oil makes a good fat of choice here.
Third, get your stuff together.
- 1 dozen eggs, whisked
- 1 bell pepper, sliced. You pick the color
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 package portabella mushroom caps, sliced (there's another one that spell check doesn't recognize!)
- 1/3 lb Provolone cheese, diced
- Coconut oil (or whatever oil you like to saute with)
- Your choice of spices-I used salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika, a few dashes/sprinkles of each and tossed them in while I was whisking the eggs
In a large skillet, melt a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil and toss your onions in and cook over medium low heat for about 15-20 minutes or until the onions are soft and starting to caramelize. Once those are finished take them out and put them in a bowl and set aside. Add more fat to your pan if necessary and toss in your sliced mushrooms and bell pepper and saute until the mushrooms are tender. Remove from pan and toss those in your onion bowl.
Add your whisked eggs to the baking dish and toss in your veggies and cheese and stir to combine everything. Pop in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until egg is firm. Slice and serve!
What's also nice about this is if you have leftovers, it makes for a quick and easy emergency protein snack!