Monday, July 30, 2012

Banana chia bread



So several months ago I made this recipe and it came out super amazing, except I added too much coconut oil and didn't let it cool before I tried to take it out of the pan, and it ended up a soggy mess.  Delicious, but messy.

My sweet tooth has been making a comeback and I wanted to give it another go, but I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand, so I made do with what I could, and the end result was still delicious, especially slathered with some coconut butter.  It was just a tad dry for my liking, so keep an eye on how long you bake it.

Banana Chia Bread
  • 2 cups almond meal
  • 3/4 cup arrowroot powder (disclaimer: I totally cheated and used cornstarch, only because 1) I only have a small amount of arrowroot powder and 2) arrowroot powder is expensive!!  If you use cornstarch, it's an even equivalent)
  • 1/4 cup golden flax meal
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/4 cup vanilla whey protein powder
  • 3 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1/3 cup agave nectar
  • 2 eggs + 2 egg whites
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • 2-3 bananas, mashed (the riper the better!  I used 2 and it gave me a cup.  The bread came out just a little dry for my liking, so go ahead and add another banana if you want)
Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a loaf pan

In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients together then pour into bowl with dry ingredients and stir until combined.  

Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool in the pan on a rack for at least an hour before removing.



No comments:

Post a Comment