Sunday, June 6, 2010

Crab Cakes



Lazy blogger back again!  I've been cooking (kind of), but I'm lacking in motivation I guess.

Anyway, I got a craving for crab cakes the other day and even though I have a 2 pack of Maryland style crab cakes from Trader Joes in my freezer, I decided to give it a go on my own.  For the first time, I think they came out okay!  I think next time I will use lump crab meat (I just didn't want to pay $6.99 for a small can of it) and maybe skip the egg as a binding agent, as it was VERY wet and as a result, I had to use more bread crumbs then I wanted, and maybe make them a bit thicker, these were thin, but it made 7 and I had 3 along with some roasted potatoes, and I am stuffed!

Baked feta crab cakes:
  • 12 ounces crab meat (whatever you like to use, I just bought two 6-ounce cans of regular crab meat, so it was more shredded)
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise (I hate mayo with a passion, all I can taste is the fat coating my tongue, yuck.  But I got a coupon for a free bottle of Kraft Mayo made with olive oil, and it's not that bad, and has WAY less fat and calories than regular mayo)
  • 1/2-1 cup breadcrumbs (I used italian bread crumbs to mix in and panko to coat)
  • 1 egg (again, in the future, I would maybe eliminate the egg so I could cut back on the breadcrumbs)
  • 1 ounce feta cheese
  • Dash of black pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh (or dried) parsley
Preheat oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.

In a bowl combine the crab (drained), mayo, egg (if you decide to use it), feta, pepper, parsley and lemon juice.  Stir to combine and add in the breadcrumbs 1/4 cup at a time until the desired consistency is reached (I think I had to add close to 3/4 of a cup before I was able to start forming them).

In a separate bowl, pour some panko breadcrumbs and form crab mix into a patty (about 2-3 ounces) and roll to coat.

Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick skillet with a couple of tablespoons of canola oil (or whatever you have on hand).  Gently place patties and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.  Transfer the crab cakes to the foil lined baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes, flipping halfway, until crispy. 

Place on a cooling rack lined with paper towel to absorb any excess oil.  Let cool for a few minutes before serving and top with zesty remoulade sauce.

Remoulade Sauce:
  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 teaspoons hot sauce
  • 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.  Refrigerate for an hour or until chilled.

Serves 2-3

2 comments:

  1. OK I have to comment since you put a nice picture up!!

    But I can't say if they look yummy, the last time I ate crab I was a child, that one time I found out that I was deathly allergic to it hehe

    ReplyDelete