I used a recipe I found on the Kraft website but altered it a little for my liking, so here's what I came up with:
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 T minced garlic (I just buy the jars of minced garlic so I don't have to worry about cloves going bad)
- 1 T ground cumin
- Dash of crushed red pepper (optional)
- A drizzle of EVOO (equal to maybe a tablespoon)
- (3) 16-ounce cans of black beans, undrained
- 1 14-ounce can of chicken stock
- 1 16-ounce jar of salsa (if you want some spice, I suggest getting the hot)
- 2 T lime juice
Place 1 can of beans with some of the chicken stock in a blender and blend until pureed. (The original recipe calls for 2 cans to be pureed, but I found the soup to be a little thin for my liking). Stir into pot along with remaining beans, chicken stock, salsa and lime juice.
Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Top with sour cream and cheddar cheese if desired.
Makes about (9) 1-cup servings.