Monday, September 21, 2009

Applesauce


Fall is here! That means an abundance of apples. And if you're like me and buy a big bag on sale and then forget about them, don't worry, I've got the perfect solution for you, applesauce!

(As adapted from The Joy of Cooking).

  • 3 pounds apples, cored and peeled (if desired). I used Gala since that what was on sale.
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
Chop apples and place in a heavy skillet with water and lemon juice. Simmer, covered, on low heat for 20 minute or until apples are tender but not mushy.

Mix in 6 tablespoons honey (I split honey and agave nectar), about 1 teaspoon nutmeg and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (I just eyeball this) for about a minute or until sugar/spices are combined.

Mash up apples to your desired consistency. Use a wooden spoon for chunky applesauce, or a potato masher for a more mashed consistency or put through a food mill for smooth. Since I don't own a potato masher, the avocado masher worked just fine.

Serve warm or refrigerate in a container.

No comments:

Post a Comment