Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hot Dog Salad



The original recipe came courtesy of Rachael Ray, but thanks to me not having some of the items (granulated sugar, cabbage, yellow mustard) I decided to improvise it and make it more paleo-friendly (although the original recipe is pretty close!).

My version came out pretty good, the dressing was tangy, but not too tangy, and the addition of the sauerkraut really helped add some flavor.  I didn't even realize that the original one called for salt and pepper, but I don't think you need it.  As far as the hot dogs, I used Coleman Natural Beef Hot Dogs, no added chemicals :)  Although you might want to rinse them off first, they were kind of goopy, gross.  My recipe is below:

Hot Dog Salad (Serves two)

Dressing:
  • 2 tablespoons deli style mustard (I just had the brownish, tangy stuff on hand, but you can use yellow mustard too)
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon honey
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
In a small bowl, whisk the above ingredients together until blended.  Set aside.

Salad:
  • Romaine lettuce (I just used up the little I had left, maybe 2 loose cups, shredded)
  • 1/4 red onion, sliced thin
  • Banana peppers (just toss in what you think you want)
  • 1 cup sauerkraut, drained
  • 1 tomato, sliced
  • 4 hot dogs, sliced
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients but the hot dogs.  In a skillet over medium heat, arrange the hot dogs in a single layer (you can cook these in two batches as well) and cook until browned on both sides.  Drain on a paper towel and add to bowl and toss with salad.  Top with dressing and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. WOW..this is very interesting for sure, a salad with hot dogs.

    ReplyDelete